
The entrance to the Radiology Department:
"The radiology residents are nice. The guys tease each other just like in the USA."
"The residents were amazed that I was married because in India they explained that a man must have financial security before a woman will marry him. They asked, “how did I get married?” I replied, “by my good looks.” They laughed. When I asked the residents why they stayed so late every night, they said because it is fun. Quite different from America where at the first hint a resident can leave they are running out the door. I believe they stay so late because they do not have families and are a close group of friends. "
The library where Randy studied & collected cases:
"King Edwards Hospital is completely different from any hospital I have seen. From what I observe, the hospital is severely understaffed. Patients fill the hallways. They typically lie down in the hallways and wait for doctors. The inside of the hospital is connected to the outside, meaning in places where there should be windows there are none. The are no patient rooms, instead there are many big rooms with many patients in the rooms. The patients have no privacy. Only the operating rooms have air conditioning. Birds like pigeons fly from the outside into the halls of the hospital. No one seems to mind this. The hallways are grimy with black dirt that has not been cleaned in years. There is a distinct smell to Mumbai that I am trying to get used to."
Patients sleeping in the hallways of the hospital:

"Every time I go by the radiology department there is a moderate sized pile of dirt in the corner of the hospital. Can you imagine that occurring in the USA ? People would be freaking out. I also saw three stray mutts roaming the hospital halls. That will be the picture of India that is burned in my head when I leave."
A surgical procedure in progress:
(Courtesy of Randy's friend Leo, a medical student from Germany that Randy met there. He was doing an Orthopaedic Surgery rotation at KEM hospital)


" My schedule is:
1. Wake up at 2 pm
2. Write you my email while listening to music
3. Shower and get ready
4. Pick up daily groceries
5. Go to the library in the radiology department and use Photoshop to touch up yesterdays images
6. Email you as this is when I have access to the internet
7. Start collecting cases while listening to music, of course. I collect at least 5 cases per night. Some of the MR cases take a long time to collect.
8. Do my Step 2 USMLE q bank and study.
9. Go to bed at 6 am
I have turned into a machine. It helps to pass the time. "
1 comment:
That is amazing to see how different things are in India. I don't know if I could handle it.
Post a Comment