11 January 2008

Sunbeams & Swimming


Andrew is a SUNBEAM!!

He entered the Primary room and was excited to find his very own chair that had his picture on it:


This was the actual photo. He likes to cheese it up for the camera. What a goof.

He was happy to be there.....as long as I was by his side. He didn't want me to leave (I tried), so I got to sit with him for the whole time. At first I was annoyed by his clinginess, but now I'm glad I got to be there to see him interact and sing the Primary songs. He's in a class with ALL BOYS. Boy, do they have their work cut out for them! Two of the other boys are in his preschool class, and let me tell you from firsthand experience, when they get together-watch out! During class time, one of their teachers held up a picture of baby Moses and had them repeat the name Moses back to her. Well, they thought that was a pretty fun word and kept saying "Moooooses!" over and over and over again.

I didn't know Andrew was going to be "one of those kids" that sang a bit on the irreverent side. When they got to "I am a Child of God," he sang it loud and proud. I would describe Andrew as a mild-mannered kid, but when he gets around his friends, he's a bit of a clown. His teachers did such a great job of keeping him focused on the task at hand.

I was baptized a member of our church when I was 19, so I didn't experience Primary as a child. When I was first baptized, I was called to team-teach a Sunbeam class with one of my best friends, Tanya. And for 5 consecutive years now, I've served as 2nd counselor, president, secretary, and stake secretary in the Primary. I know this organization well and I love it!! It's so fun to see my child partake of its goodness.

Now on to the Swimming part:

Andrew started swim lessons this week and I discovered that Andrew is indeed a fish out of water. To say he loved it would be an understatement. He did exactly what his teacher asked him to do-blow bubbles, dunk his head under the water, float on his back, kick & paddle. When his lesson was over, he threw a very nice fit because he didn't want to leave! It's been fun to watch him really love something.

1 comment:

Cristi said...

That's so good that he enjoys it and that they had a picture of him on his chair! What a great idea! I didn't want to complain on my blog for everyone to see, but since no one will know me here from this ward I just gotta say, I was totally and absolutely disappointed with Pete's first day of Primary. I know I shouldn't judge, but I just had such high expectations and have been looking forward to it, knowing how much fun it can be. I was first sad that they didn't even know he was coming- he wasn't assigned to a class and didn't have a teacher- so I knew it was going to be bad. Anyway, I'll spare the detailed complaining and unrighteous judgements that have gone through my head. It's hard when you've already seen just how wonderful primary can be! I have faith that it will all be fine and I'm sure it will get better.