25 November 2007

The Food

Most Indians are vegetarian. The food is plentiful on the streets of Mumbai. And very spicy:



"The residents thought I was strange that in America I eat meat every day. The residents have never eaten beef or pork. I have also not seen butter, cheese, yogurt, milk, or eggs in India . I am glad that in America cows are not holy. They were surprised that I have also eaten turkey and fish. I told them about guns and hunting. They were shocked when I told them the things I have hunted and fished for. I told them where I am from that is what a normal man does. Guns are banned in India and the residents are city slickers. There is a siren that goes off five times/day to remind the Muslims to pray."

"The German asked me yesterday if I wanted to go to a restaurant where they have meat. I said of course. We walked to the train station in the pouring rain. I am glad you made me take my umbrella. I have never seen rain like this. We got on a train that took us to the southern part of Mumbai. Interestingly, the train cars are segregated by not only first and second class, but also by gender. Women have the option to ride in women only coaches. I suppose it is segregated to prevent any interaction between the sexes. There is no public affection. Of the three countries I have lived in, Spain is the most liberal in terms of affection. USA is in the middle, and India is the most repressive. We walked awhile and found a European restaurant. There I sank my teeth into a gourmet hamburger and French fries. I also had some strawberry ice cream. That was the highlight of the week. Afterwards, I felt really full and satisfied. Then we made fun of the obesity problem in America . This was the first time I saw other Caucasians in Mumbai besides myself and the German. The whole trip took 3 hours, but it was well worth it. I told him we should do it again before he leaves."

"The German said he is sick of all the veggie food and when he returns home he is going to look forward eating a tasty sausage and sitting on a clean toilet. I say amen to all that. I am also looking forward to drinking milk."

2 comments:

Hill said...

Tell Randy that I don't know about him, but the food in Spain wasn't that great either. I guess it's all what you get used to.

Unknown said...

Actually, we just had a conversation about this. He ranks Spain #1, US #2, & India #3. Did you get to eat Paella or Spanish Tortilla?