30 August 2010

Connor's Eviction


Connor Joseph Lamb
August 30, 2010, 8:59 pm
8 lbs. 5 oz., 21 in.

Connor's Birth Story...
I say that Connor was evicted because I have my doubts this child would have come on his own. Either my body didn't know how to get with the program or Connor was just too comfy in there! On August 30, five days past his due date, I went in for a prenatal visit. Randy stayed home with the boys and told me that I wasn't allowed to come home without an induction date! We were both worried that he would be too big if we waited much longer (Andrew and Josh were induced at 39 weeks and were both over 8 lbs.).

At the prenatal visit, my blood pressure was high. It hadn't been high during the entire pregnancy. My midwife took it again 15 minutes later, and it was higher. So...she said I needed to head upstairs to labor & delivery to induce labor! I called Randy's mom so she could come pick up the boys and I called Randy to get their bags packed because we were going to have a baby tonight!

At 6:15 pm, the pitocin was started to get my contractions going. The nurse increased it every half hour until it got to a 7. The monitor wasn't picking up the contractions very well, but I was feeling them pretty soon after the pitocin was started. At first it was tolerable, but then they got evil. I'm sure the nurses thought I was a pansy because the monitor wasn't picking them up! The midwives had a shift change at 7 pm, and I didn't meet the new one until around 7:45 pm. I told her the contractions were pretty strong, but she didn't check me because it was still early. We talked about getting an epidural and some other pain management options. We also talked about turning the pitocin off to see if my body would do the rest. She said that I should eat something and brought me a sandwich. She had other patients having babies, so she left for a little bit. At this point, the contractions were getting worse. I couldn't eat the sandwich or really concentrate on anything else. The only thing I wanted to do was go to the bathroom! By the third bathroom trip, Randy said I'd better get that epidural, so he called the nurse.

The anesthesiologist came in at 8:51 pm (this was documented on the computer). I told him that I didn't know how on earth he was going to give me the epidural because by that time I was in a lot of pain and the contractions were close together (still not showing up very well on the computer, so I think everyone still thought I was being a pansy). My midwife came in and said, "Are you ready to take a little rest now?" I told her I was, but I didn't know how we were going to do this! She got me through the next contraction by doing counter pressure (she pressed on my knees, Randy pressed on my back while I was lying on my side). This felt so good! After the contraction, my midwife got paged and I told her to not leave me! I wanted her to keep doing the counter pressure with me. She said she'd get me through the next contraction and then she needed to take the call. I sat up on the bed to get in position for the epidural, then the next contraction came. They did counter pressure again, but in the middle of the contraction I yelled, "I'm pushing!" My body just took over from there. This baby was coming out, ready or not!

My midwife hurried and checked my progression. I was complete and the baby was crowning. She looked over at the anesthesiologist and said we wouldn't be needing him. There were many people in the room at that point and everyone was scrambling to get the party started. I was terrified and screaming (I'm sure I convinced many undecided mothers on the floor to go ahead and get that epidural!), it was so hard for me to surrender my body. The nurses, especially my midwife were great. I just did my best to listen to them and do what they asked. It was crazy and insane, but 8 minutes later (from the time the anesthesiologist came into the room), Connor was here. I had an unplanned pitocin-induced, med-free labor. I am woman, hear me roar. Connor's apgar scores were 8 then 9. We have been so blessed.

And this little guy was so worth the wait.






17 comments:

C, J, T, and M said...

So great! Totally happy for you! He is adorable!

Melissa Stringham said...

way to go Nancy! He is seriously so cute, it almost makes me wish I were pregnant again. (almost)

Lindsey said...

Adorable! I had a similar story with Liam and I felt the same way! I panicked because I wanted that epidural and knew it wasn't going to happen. You forget though, somehow... He is the cutesy little guy, happy for you for not being pregnant anymore!!!

Cristi said...

Welcome Connor! I'm so happy that everything went relatively well. Way to go growing a big healthy baby and making it through a med-free delivery. We send our love to you all (especially the newest little Lamb)!

Hill said...

Good job, you are awesome!

Hill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie N said...

CONGRATS Nancy!!!!! Like your other 2 little guys, Connor is just GORGEOUS!! Really, you and Randy make beautiful kids!

And I LOVED reading your birth story. What a ride!! Sounds like your midwife was a champ helping you through everything. Who am I kidding? YOU were the champion for sure!! Way to go with the quick, med-free delivery. Can't wait to see more pictures of sweet little Connor. (LOVE the name, by the way!)

Kathy said...

Congratulations! Glad it all went well and he's healthy. What a beautiful baby! Good job going med-free, even if it wasn't in your plans! I've done it 3 for 3, but am a firm believer that it is better if it's a choice. :) Rest, relax and enjoy your baby and I'll give you a call soon.

Scottie and Tasha said...

Congrats! So excited for you and your family!!!

McKensie Naomi said...

CONGRATS! He is so beautiful! You were such a trooper and kept truckin' all while smiling! I was thinking about you all day on Monday thinking I should bake you cookies, but looks like you were already busy! Hope all is well.

Adair said...

Yay! I am so glad he is here and healthy. I have been checking your blog every day in anticipation for a post with pictures of a yummy new baby. He is beautiful Nancy. And what? No epidural? I'm impressed. When things calm down, I want to come see him and bring some goodies over. Congratulations and get in lots of snuggle time:)

Shellie said...

Yeah!!!!!! Congrats - he looks like he belongs. Love to you all.

Marianne and Dave said...

I think it's so funny that those contractions weren't showing up on the monitor even though they were really strong and you were in a ton of pain! You are superwoman. And Conner is so amazingly cute! He looks strong and healthy and so pink. So happy for you guys!!!

Cassy said...

Congratulations!

Becky said...

What a birth story. He is absolutely beautiful, Nancy! How does Josh like being a big brother?

I feel your pain on the pitocin/no epidural front. Same thing happened with Emmy - they started pitocin at 6cm and broke my water - I screamed for an epidural 0.2 seconds later and he was out before they could get it finished. So incredibly painful!!! You're my hero! <3

Unknown said...

He is beautiful!! And now you’ve got a cool birthing story…nice. Luv u

Tanya said...

Wow! You go girl! My worst fear was not to get an epidural bc my labors move fast. I am impressed! Enjoy him. He is super cute!