I tried the Grocery Game today which turned out to be a small nightmare, but I learned something very powerful in the process.
As I was trying to find the sale items on my list (which were either out of stock or not actually on sale), my kids were losing their patience with me, and I with them. I was on the verge of breaking into "mean mom" mode. You know, when you're sentences are clipped, you use phrases like "QUITIT!" or "STOPIT!," you threaten to put them in time out, take away a privilege, or take their lives. My favorite phrase I use is "You're driving me crazy!!" I hate when I see other moms treating their children impatiently, but I find myself doing the same more than I'd like to admit.
But before I got to that point, a woman said to me, "You're doing a good job, you know. I've been watching you, and it's nice to see parenting done right. I know you don't think you're doing a good job, but you are."
She stopped me dead in my tracks. I wanted to be that good mother she thought I was. As we went to the next store, I found myself treating my kids with more paitence, and they actually did better!
I'm glad that woman took the time to give me a pat on the back.
5 comments:
That's great! I guess you never know who is watching.
Hey, I've been thinking about doing the Grocer Game. So is it all worth it?
This was my first week-and it wasn't the greatest experience. The Grocery Game said that diapers were buy one get one free at Rite Aid and they weren't-and that was the main purpose of my trip. But it's something you need to stick with for 12 weeks to start reaping the rewards of your hard work. I do like that I can indulge my OCD qualities by making lists, clipping coupons, etc.
those are promptings. I have had the prompting before to tell a mother in church how well behaved her kids were when she took her baby out in the hall, but I didn't. My mom always says that people never tell you when you (or your kids) are doing something right, and it's true. That is great that she listened to the prompting.
I am so glad I am not the one only that says "you are driving me crazy." I don't know what is worse, the fact that I use the phrase too much or that I am crazy 99% of the time. =)
Before the twins, i did the grocery game. I love the concept and having 12 tubes of toothpaste but I have decided that it is next to impossible to do with kids. I am just not fast enough at it. I resort to Vons online shopping. They deliver right to your door. And you can sort the items by price. Best thing ever!
That is so wonderful to hear! What a great day for you! I completely believe in the power of praise.
Now, if I could just get my kids to tell me, "Mom, you are just doing such a good job!"
Post a Comment